Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Grand Canyon

 

I visited the Grand Canyon (Arizona, USA) last week with two friends of mine. It's been 29 or 30 years since I last visited the Grand Canyon. At that time I was with my then-girlfriend and her two young boys. We had flown to Phoenix to visit her brother in Paradise Valley, and drove up to the Grand Canyon for an overnight visit. It was then, driving through Arizona, that I decided I would one day live in Arizona. And here I am!

This excursion was vastly different than my experience 3 decades ago. First, even though I was sober on the last trip, too, I'm in a completely different head space (good thing!) and heart space than I was back then. Second, there were no rambunctious boys in our party on this trip, so we went down into the canyon! 

I went with 2 friends, a couple, in recovery. My female friend led the excursion, as she is an avid hiker, and very adventuresome. A couple of nights before we went, she mentioned she was going, and I got excited and invited myself. The next day I realized I might have been a bit pushy, so I apologized and let her off the hook. She said I could come anyway!

It's about a 3 hour drive from Prescott, and we left in the evening. On the way there, we stopped to admire the sunset:


This picture was taken at a place called Hell's Canyon. There is also a swimming/fishing hole there, and some sort of large concrete structure that might be intended for flood abatement, but is currently only used for graffiti. 

We stopped at a free campsite near the Grand Canyon. My understanding is that there are a lot of free camping areas in Arizona. These do not have facilities. Our leader lent me her one-person hiking tent, which was really cool. It is basically a screen tent, so I could sleep under the stars without the bugs. It does come with a rain fly if needed. I brought along my sleeping bag and yoga mat, hoping it would be enough to keep me comfortable. It wasn't. In the morning I realized it would have been smart to gather up all the pine needles in the area to create a soft base onto which to pitch the tent. Live and learn. I also brought along a headlight (a very bright light one actually wears on their head) which I usually use for night biking. It came in handy and facilitated setting up the tents. 

With everybody snug in their respective tents, I tried to fall asleep. Realizing that that wasn't going to happen for awhile, I looked up at the brilliant night sky. I haven't seen the night sky without ambient light pollution for a long time, so it was quite a treat! I wasn't upset that I couldn't get to sleep; I just relaxed my mind and enjoyed the experience. Everything on this trip was so awesome and first-time, it wasn't hard for me to stay engaged in the moment, whether I needed some rest or not.

One of the things that did come to mind - our leader had planned for us to do a 9-mile hike with a 3000' elevation at the Canyon. I got to thinking about that, and on a good day on flat level pavement, walking 9 miles isn't very appealing to me. I resolved to set aside my fear of appearing old and out of shape and talk with her and her SO about it in the morning. The next morning I talked with my traveling companions, expressing my concerns, and even offered to do other stuff around the park while they went hiking. We all decided that the 9 miler was a bit ambitious, and opted instead for a 6 mile, 1500' elevation hike. I bring this up because it's something relatively new for me to express how I feel or what I think if it involves me possibly appearing less-than. As it turned out, we were all pretty much in the same physical shape, even though my companions are a few years younger than me. Well, ok, a lot of years younger. 

So we de-camped, packed up, and headed to the park. I was surprisingly awake and energetic for the amount of actual sleep I got. It is true that if one can't sleep, just being quiet and resting does have value. We stopped for breakfast, loaded up on water, and headed for the Canyon.

I was quite surprised at how the Grand Canyon has grown since I last visited it! Actually, what happened, is the last time I visited, I had a very small, narrow mind, and the visual memory that always surfaced whenever I thought about the Canyon was very small compared to how large it actually is. I was speaking with another friend about our trip, and he said every time he goes there, he is amazed at its enormity.

And then, as we began our trek, I realized I've retained very few memories about my original trip, and some of them aren't that good. This experience was turning out to be totally different - so much so, the two experiences aren't really comparable, other than 30 years ago I happened to occupy the same geographical space. 

Time for another pic:


So, we began the descent. I let my two companions lead the way so I could go slower, if needed, and so that I could take pictures. Now, of course, we don't go straight down (although that would be quicker); the trail has a lot of switchbacks. As I think I mentioned before, walking is not my favorite thing; bicycling is. I am a novice hiker - this is the 2nd hike I've taken in Arizona. I experienced some anxiety at the beginning of the hike, and it wasn't unwarranted. Hiking is risky business! I often experience a bit of anxiety before going on a long bicycle ride, because that has its risks, too. In bicycling, the anxiety leaves quickly because of the chemicals produced through the exercise. Here, it didn't dissipate as quickly, but it did leave. I was there for the overall experience, not just the hiking aspect, so it really didn't matter too much. 


This is a picture from near the bottom of our particular trail. We didn't go quite to the end, but rested here for awhile. Here, and during the whole hike, we talked about a lot of things. For some moments, we sat in the silence, surrounded by the canyon walls. In these moments, I felt that I could hear the silence - it seemed palpable. The experience was indescribably beautiful and awe-inspiring. There was nowhere else I needed or desired to be in those moments except where I was at with the people whom I was with. I haven't had such a deep experience of serenity in a long time, if ever.

Then, we began the climb back up. O.M.G! I began huffing and puffing almost immediately, and at first I felt embarrassed, because my breathing was very audible. Then I realized we were all having difficulty with the climb back up, and I felt better. I imagine I couldn't hear my friends' breathing because mine was so loud. Here I was met with the challenge I experience on almost all of my longer bike rides - and which I now actually enjoy - something inside of me wants to give up. But I can't! I mustn't! I can make it! And hitting the SOS button on our leader's GPS is too embarrassing! But, yeah, when you go down, you HAVE to go back up.


So, we stopped and rested several times on the way up. I'm sure it was easier because we were doing it together. And we were aided a little bit by light rain and a cool breeze. But we made it! And I made a commitment to more aerobic exercise to improve my cardiovascular stamina.

Takeaways 

Even with pictures accompanying my words, I have done a poor job of describing the immense positive impact this less-than 24 hour excursion had and still has on me, my recovery, and my spirituality. 

Perhaps the biggest miracle for me is how comfortable I felt being with my new friends. They really are good people with huge hearts, and, aside from a few brief moments already mentioned, I had no problem with being myself around them. I had no anxiety about adventuring with them, I felt no need to impress. I was just myself, and that was more than good enough. There was no competition, and we seemed to move in unity. It really was the most simple, pure experience of friendship I've ever felt in my life. 

Another big takeaway is the kind of spiritual experience produced being in the Grand Canyon. It's an experience that is still with me, in my heart. It brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. I haven't, in the past, experienced a lot of awe and wonder (except maybe to wonder how I managed to survive this long). I feel like I could explore the Grand Canyon for the rest of my life and never tire of it's beauty, wonder, and mystery. This coming from a guy who a year ago didn't really believe there was anything more to experience from life.

And last, at least for now, is you know I didn't plan this. I jumped on an opportunity, an impromptu road trip because it sounded like it could be fun and I haven't been out of Prescott for awhile. It's another miracle that for the first time in my life I am actually enjoying my life. I'm liking it. I'm loving it. Somewhere in the last year I finally surrendered - I stopped struggling, I stopped trying to find ways to make this life tolerable - and in letting go of what I thought my life should be like, I've received an even better life than I could have possibly imagined. And, as an old friend always says, it just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you for reading, and thank you my friends for who you are and your friendship, and thank you my Creator for never giving up on me, even when I did.

Namasté,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment