Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Celebrating Physical Health

Seeing as this blog is about coming to terms with being a spiritual being having a human experience, it makes sense (to me) to write about my physical health, in addition to my spiritual and mental/emotional health.
Yesterday, I experienced my very first colonoscopy. I don't remember the actual procedure at all, for which I'm grateful. The worst part of the whole process is the prep, and I didn't find it all that bad. Of course, I'm comparing it to some bouts of gastric distress I've had when I used to drink, and the gastric distress necessary for the colonoscopy doesn't come close. I found out after the procedure that I have no polyps whatsoever, but I do have diverticulosis (pockets in the large intestine that can become irritated or inflamed at times). I suspected the diverticulosis, and I treat it with a high-fiber diet, which seems to manage it pretty well.
I was very pleasantly surprised with the results - they were better than what I had imagined as a best-case scenario, and way better that my imagined worst-case scenario. I'm in pretty good health for a 53 year-old man, and I'm in very good health for all the crap I've put my body through over the years. So when I think about my nice, clean, colon, I feel good. And I'm thankful.
Here are some other physical things I'm grateful for: my eyesight (though not perfect, it's pretty good), my healthy heart, my healthy lungs, my healthy muscles, the ability to walk, the ability to ride my bike every day, the ability to hear, the ability to taste, the ability to still think reasonably well.
My tendency, and I don't think I'm alone, is, when something isn't physically quite right, to focus on what's wrong. Yesterday and today I realize that at any given time I'm 90-98% healthy - most stuff seems to be in working order. When I remember that, it feels good to be taking this journey in this body. When I forget it, the journey seems to suck.
So today I'm grateful for my body and all that it can do, and that gratitude helps me to take care of it by exercising it and feeding it well. Gratitude for my physical health is one more reason to stay clean and sober.
Humans are 3-part beings - body, mind, and spirit - and each part affects the other. I can't neglect one part, and hope that the other two stay healthy for long. So it's important to me to do something each day for the health of each of these parts - to feed my body well, my mind well, and my spirit well. All of those things are abundantly possible today, and I am very grateful.
Namasté,
Ken    

No comments:

Post a Comment