Sunday, December 24, 2017

Create a Merry Christmas

I was poking around my blog to see if I posted anything on the last two Christmases, since I didn't really have an inspiration for anything to write for this Christmas. Apparently, I wasn't inspired the last two Christmases either, which isn't surprising. Christmas isn't my favorite holiday.

I think in one of the previous incarnations of this blog I wrote a Christmas piece. I won't try to re-create it; I'll tell it like it is today.

I'm working today and tomorrow. I set it up that way. Well, today's shift was scheduled; tomorrow's I volunteered for. I generally try to work the Christmas holidays, but not for extra money; I'm avoiding Christmas as much as possible while still participating. 

And as I got to thinking about that, I realized that my attitude is not in line with my vision for living. It happens; that's how I grow - set the bar a little higher, and move toward it, and set it higher again. So by avoiding Christmas, I'm not living in integrity. I'm pretty sneaky, because I'm still doing stuff with my girlfriend and her family, so when people ask me what I'm doing for Christmas, I've got something to say. If I were living in integrity, I'd say, "I'm avoiding it as much as possible," instead of using my alibi. Or, if I were living in integrity, I'd be embracing Christmas in my own way, because nowadays I try to be about embracing life rather than avoiding life.

Growing up, I acquired the habit of wishing things would never come. Things came anyway, so it wasn't a realistic wish. So then I learned how to avoid or escape, and lived that strategy for many, many years. I see today that avoid/escape isn't the best strategy for dealing with life, either, so I decided to put my big boy pants on and learn to embrace life. It's a slow process.

So, as far as Christmas goes, I already know what I don't like about it. What can I do to make it a holiday season for me? Here are some tips for me for next Christmas:

  • Plan ahead! Start planning now, so I'm ready next year. Make a list.
  • Lights - the part I really like about Christmas is lights. After Christmas, one can purchase Christmas lights at ridiculously low prices at places like Steins. Buy a lot of lights so I can make a brightly obnoxious display next Christmas.
  • Handmade cards - I used to be a photographer - take pictures and make meaningful cards for certain people in my life, and remember - I don't have to send cards to everyone!
  • Save up for a special Christmas donation to my favorite non-profit (NAMI Waukesha) or my second favorite non-profit (Lutheran Social Services).
  • Think of and create gifts for my special friends.
  • Spend time with those who might be having a less-than-merry Christmas.
  • Spend more time with the special people in my life.
So, doing that would make Christmas meaningful and enjoyable to me, and today I'm not obligated to follow anyone else's idea of Christmas. I do believe in being a giving person all year round, and I can still set aside a special time to give more.

Merry Christmas, or whatever you're celebrating!

Namaste,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment