Sunday, May 6, 2018

The Strengths of Recovery

I'm a grateful person, and the more grateful I am, the more I find for which to be grateful.

It's important for me to recognize the blessings I have today, and it's important to me to share them with others. I get to share at support groups, Stories of Hope, working one on one with others, and through this blog. Here are some of the things for which I am grateful:

  • Challenges (formerly problems) - I wouldn't have any of the 'problems' I have today if I weren't in recovery. I'd be dead.
  • A growing self-respect and self-esteem
  • A career and 2 great jobs
  • An increased appreciation for life
  • Real peace of mind
  • Faith
  • Hope
  • An increased sense of security and safety
  • Great people in my life
  • The ability to recognize my gifts and share them
  • Courage
  • An increasing awareness of who I am
  • A feeling of belonging
  • I'm comfortable in my own skin
  • Courage to be me
  • Honesty
  • Decreased shame
  • Zero guilt
  • Self-confidence
  • Purpose
  • Good health
  • Confidence and courage to face life without fear
  • Resilience
  • I'm useful
  • I have an appreciation for others and an ability to know people at more than a superficial level
If I were asked to write down my gifts and strengths and the good things in my life 3 years ago, I would not have been able to come up with one thing. I wasn't even grateful to be alive. Even during the times when I was sober it was hard to come up with things that I truly felt good about.

To be very honest, recovery hasn't given me these things - I've had them all along. Alcoholism and depression covered them up. What recovery has given me is the ability to recognize my strengths and to develop them and use them to serve others while at the same time create a great life. This is why I don't walk around with a lot of shame (I'd love to say that I have zero shame, but I'm not there yet) - I am becoming the person I was born to be. There is great joy in that.

My spiritual beliefs support the idea that each and every one of us is a great person. The people with whom I identify best are others who have walked the path of addiction or mental illness, so those are the people who I direct my energies to the most. I support others in becoming the people they were meant to be. I assist others in discovering and developing their strengths. Some people come into recovery thinking their lives are over; I get to be there when they discover that their lives have just begun.

I'm really glad I didn't miss out on this.

Namasté,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment