Thursday, November 8, 2018

Lessons from Relapse - Faith in a Higher Power

This is actually an addendum to the last post, and I apologize if I led anybody to believe that I pull myself up by my own bootstraps - I do not. My strength comes from at least knowing, and sometimes feeling, that I am loved, led, and supported by something greater than me. If I felt I had to do life, much less recovery, alone, I would not make it.

For me, and a lot of people in recovery, a benevolent, loving Power Greater than ourselves is an essential component of recovery. How does one get a Higher Power if one doesn't have one? The best way that I found to connect with my Higher Power was to stop resisting life. At a very early point in my recovery, I began practicing non-resistance, which is close to acceptance, but not quite. I simply stopped judging what life was handing me, and stopped trying to avoid or escape it. I began to learn to deal with it. 

And what I found when I did that was that the formerly 'bad' stuff that I would have avoided actually turned out to be good for me when I faced it with dignity and grace, and humility. Somewhere along the line, I began to realize that Life was my Higher Power, and it made sense to me, as God or the Universe created life. Doh! So the stuff that Life hands me is actually good for me, no matter what my perception of it is.

So, after relapse and getting back into recovery, I have to get back to that mind set that 'it's all good'.

One way to connect to a Higher Power is through a connection with loving, supportive people who have the kind of character or attributes one desires. Another way is to find a group of people that generate a feeling of safety and love and that seem to give one energy. Some folks connect through nature, either in solitude or with others.

I'll keep this short. I love getting into the nitty-gritty of spirituality, but one doesn't need a Doctorate of Divinity degree to access their Higher Power. One simply needs to be open and willing, and observant to see what happens.

Namasté,

Ken


No comments:

Post a Comment