Thursday, June 2, 2016

Simplicity

In addition to having abstained from alcohol for over a year, I've also found that it has been over a year since I've felt compelled to engage in road rage. That's not a causal relationship; what it is is that my last vehicle took it's final dump in April, 2015, and I haven't replaced it with another motor vehicle. I now walk, ride my bicycle, ask for rides, or ride the bus. If I get road rage while riding the bus, then I've really got issues!
Here are the benefits I've experienced as a result of motor vehicle liberation (that's the positive way of saying 'I don't have a car'):
Increased serenity.
Reduced stress - I don't have the stress of trying to navigate my community's crazy traffic; I no longer worry when my next brake job is due every time I step on the brake; I don't have to worry about the weird noises coming from underneath the hood (I never really did - that's what car radios are made for); I don't have to worry about my vehicle breaking down; and I don't have to worry about how I'm going to fill the gas tank. Add to the list anything you want - insurance expenses, traffic tickets, depreciation, whatever.
Increased health - walking and riding my bike is healthy! And it's more enjoyable, which leads to reduced stress and increased serenity. And when I listen to my MP3 player on the bus, I can meditate or listen to motivational/inspirational messages on my ride in to work.
Money Savings - I haven't actually calculated the amount of money I haven't spent on gas, repairs, and insurance, but I'll bet it's a lot. The reason I haven't calculated that total is because I don't yet make enough money to spend on gas, repairs, and insurance. So, I'm avoiding the stress of figuring out where to get money to support a vehicle and, in turn, I'm reducing stress, increasing serenity, and benefiting my health!
Increased organizational skills - because I can't just hop in my car and go when an idea strikes me, I have to plan my trips to work, to the store, to recovery meetings, to just about everywhere. I have to say 'no' to some opportunities presented me. I have to ask for help sometimes. All of this keeps me more mindful of what I'm doing and where I'm going and what's important to me. If something important to me is happening in Appleton, I'll find a way there.
Smaller carbon footprint - I'm not contributing as much as I used to to world pollution and global warming. I don't really care that much, to be honest, but it is true.
Increased socialization/decreased isolation -  this could go either way, really - I could choose to use the excuse of not having a car to avoid interacting w/my fellow human beings, and I have done that a few times. Most of the time, however, I'll ask for a ride and spend time getting to know my chauffeur, and letting them get to know me.

So, for the past year I've experienced all of the above benefits and more. My brain likes to tell me that the more I do, the better off I am. My brain lies a lot. I used to spend a good chunk of each day in my vehicle, running here, going there, doing this and that. Much of it was unproductive and unnecessary. Much of it unnecessarily increased my stress, which in turn decreased my health and serenity. I would take on stuff which wasn't mine to take on, and I seriously complicated my life. I now know that the lifestyle I led contributed greatly to my relapse.

Now, as a responsible adult with a valid driver's license, I know that eventually I will have a car or a van again. I have more responsibilities in my life than I had a year ago, and having my own vehicle will facilitate the fulfillment of my responsibilities. I hope I remember when I do get a vehicle to use it mindfully, and to continue to use my other forms of transportation as well. Most of all I hope to always remember to keep my recovery and my serenity and my health as #1, and to remember that I do not need a motor vehicle to be happy, healthy, and sober.

Namaste,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment