Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Fuddy-dud?

My therapist has told me at least twice that if I continue to practice improving my thinking, a more positive attitude will become natural to me, just like my negative attitude is still fairly prevalent - at least as far as first thoughts go. I doubted this, even though it's part of what I preach.

This morning, I was loading my laundry onto my bike when I heard something hit the ground. I looked down and saw that my mirror had broken off. I immediately said, "Oh, fuddy-dud." Then I stopped and thought, "Where did that come from?"

You see, I'm very familiar with feeling frustrated and overwhelmed. Laundry is not my favorite household task, especially when it involves traveling some distance to get it done. And early morning has not historically been the best time to catch me in a good mood. I was shocked this morning, because my former response to my mirror falling off would have been much more profane, and possibly even a little violent. I have been practicing finding a better thought/reaction to the little things in life that frustrate/overwhelm me. I don't like the fact that little things can really get to me. Now it looks like I can say, "I used to let little things get to me."

It looks like my therapist might be right!

And little things like this, while not really fit for the front page of the newspaper, give me confidence and hope that I can turn my thinking around, with practice. That's good news!

Namaste,

Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment